The formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object from a given height is: v = √(2ad), where v = velocity, a = acceleration (9.81 m/s²) and d = distance.

Introduction to iBoy


Author: Kevin Brooks
Copyright: Text Copyright © Kevin Brooks, 2012
Number of Pages: 290
Publisher: Penguin Books

Summary on the Back:

Before the attack, sixteen-year-old Tom Harvey was just an ordinary boy.

But now fragments of a shattered iPhone are embedded in his brain and it's having an extraordinary effect...

Because now Tom has powers. The ability to know and see more than he could ever imagine. And with incredible power comes knowledge - and a choice. Seek revenge on the violet gangs that rule his estate and assaulted his friend Lucy, or keep quiet?

Tom has control when everything else is out of control. But it's a dangerous price to pay. and the consequences are terrifying...

Basically:

iBoy is a story about a teenage boy, Tom Harvey, who lives in a bad neighborhood  When he goes to meet his friend Lucy after school, someone calls out his name and throws an iPhone at him from the 30th floor of an apartment complex. The iPhone, instead of missing Tom, the iPhone implants itself into his skull, and the doctors can't get all of it out. Because of the circuits deep within his brain, Tom can surf the web, text, phone, send videos, emails, hack into databases, and intercept or hack into any data or database in the world, all while remaining completely anonymous. That is only a few of his 'powers', which he discovers and develops.


Why I chose this book:

I am heavily into technology, so I am very familiar with iPods and iPhones, the little 'i' stands out and practically screams "I'm technology, look at me!". As soon as I saw the title of this book, I immediately grabbed it and read the back. It appeared as an espionage/technology/mafia sort of book, and I decided to take it out. Once I started reading, I found the writing style extremely catching, with the plot line being immersive and effective at conveying emotion. In the first few pages, the way the flashback combined present and past was very smooth and seamless, and it just kept building the tension, making me want to read more. Overall, I chose this book because it immediately caught my attention, the writing style was amazing, and the subject matter was something I'd read on my free time anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment